The Secretary of the Navy is the first to take steps to help those discharged or being discharged for misconduct and who have mental health issues.

The type of discharge you receive at the end of your military service is critically important to your future. The benefits and severance pay you receive, the job opportunities that are available to you, and other key considerations can all be dictated in large part by the nature of your separation. If you are discharged involuntarily, the impact can be devastating. In these cases, many service members receive "other than honorable" or "dishonorable" discharges. These individuals typically have much more at stake.

If you are facing anything other than an honorable, medical or general discharge, you would be well advised to speak with a qualified military discharge lawyer about your situation. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your discharge classification, it may be possible to pursue a discharge upgrade through a Discharge Review Board (DRB). If inaccurate information in your file contributed to an unfavorable discharge status, I can help you seek resolution through the Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR).

Working To Protect Your Future

Upgrades are not automatic, and the assistance of an experienced military law attorney can give you a better chance of success. At The Law Office of Philip D. Cave, I represent service members from all branches of service in discharge upgrade matters. From gathering the necessary information to support the request and submitting the initial filing, to strong representation at hearings and appealing any negative decisions, I work tirelessly to obtain the best possible outcome in your case.

I also have extensive experience representing officers in "show cause" actions and Board of Inquiry (BOI) proceedings, as well as retirement grade determination disputes. In every case, I do everything in my power to secure a favorable result that provides the maximum level of benefits for your retirement and the most promising prospects for your future.

An Experienced Attorney Handling Wrongful Military Discharge Cases

I have worked with service members at installations across the United States and international locations around the world. Contact my office for a free initial consultation about your discharge upgrade. You can reach me by phone at 703-298-9562, toll free at 800-401-1583 or via email.